Choice of painting, site preparation, passage of the roller … The sharp tips Valerie Laporte-Volatier interior designer for your site successful painting …
Need to paint your home yourself to give it a good shot of fresh without breaking the bank? Congratulations! But beware of precipitation. Wanting to paint too quickly you may make mistakes and regret it! Here are 10 mistakes to avoid so that your site does not turn into a nightmare …
Trap # 1: Protect the insufficiently site
A paint spilled on the carpet or hardwood floors, furniture stained by a splash, it is very complicated to clean. So before moving on to painting phase, it is a rule that must be observed: protect his yard to prevent property damage or even personal …
Here are the secrets of a perfect site:
– Empty room up, ideally to work in a completely empty space. If this is not possible, place the furniture in the center of the room and protect them with plastic sheeting or old sheets folded in half.
– Remove anything that is likely to be splashed with paint, such as carpet or the curtains .
– Remove all tables, shelves, screws, rods and other door handles that could interfere with the paint application
– Pull out the electrical sockets and switches to be able to paint without overlapping them.
– Protect the floor with a large plastic tarp, Floor mounted with double sided tape.
– Allow old comfortable clothes that no longer fear anything, and a hat or bandana to protect your hair.
– Please have a mask, gloves latex and possibly goggles if you paint the glycero or use a stripper.
By following these rules, you should avoid small or big trouble …
And what to do in case of spot?
There is already too late … The last straw on the brush and that’s a pretty spot of paint! To remedy this as soon as possible follow the advice of Valerie.
– If the stain with oil-based paint: remove excess paint on fabrics, curtains, carpets and other textile with a scraper or knife. Once the excess removed, have a wipe over with white spirit.
– If stain with acrylic paint: also remove the excess with a knife or scraper and clean in cold water with a little soap and scrub with a nail brush.
– If the paint is already dry: dab the stain with a little rubbing alcohol on a cloth.
Trap # 2: evil prepare its support
When you want to repaint the walls, it is tempting to cut corners, to arrive as soon as possible to the final result … Error! Because if we do not take care to properly prepare the surface to be painted, we may get imperfect walls, revealing all defects.
Director: The Walls Have Ears
Reminder of the steps to follow:
– If the paint surface is dirty (grease, grime, nicotine, fingerprints …), it will wash it with a mild detergent diluted in water, always ending with a rinse with clean water and dry completely. Attention walls should always be leached from bottom to top to prevent sagging sales.
– If cracks are visible on the surface to be painted, it will open with a triangular scraper, then close securely to plaster, and finish by sanding, once the plaster dry. If the cracks are too important because “living” (due to variations in materials, so they affect the entire thickness of plaster or wall), it is possible to put a glass cloth, composed of very strong fibers and presented in rolls before painting. Cracks will take much longer to reappear. Please note that the first layer of paint on a canvas of glass must be an acrylic painting that will not damage the coating. If you opt for this choice, avoid paper to paint reliefs and settle for a smooth surface, always reliable. Latest paper to paint, to support new arises as wallpaper and replaces sandpaper. Smooth, it offers the possibility to apply a coat of paint over single or effect.
– If the old paint is peeling, it will remove the damaged with a stiff wire brush paint, then sand the surface with a sandpaper medium grained and fine-grained.
Trap # 3: missing paint along the way (or buy too!)
What’s more annoying than finding yourself in painting classes in action or be obliged to report to the store 10 liters pot remains on our hands? To prevent this from happening, only one solution: carefully calculate the number of liters needed by the calculator painting of Cotemaison.fr.
Before you jump into the site, a few golden rules to follow:
– Even if your painting is indicated monolayer for a good result up to your expectations, count two coats of paint.
– Lack of experience, we tends to overload the brush and thus consume more. See a little wider and round above the guidance.
– Better to have a pot that too short of paint on a Sunday afternoon, the site started …
And for those who want a calculation to measure, the method explained here:
– Measure the perimeter of the room by removing the openings (doors, windows).
– Multiply the ceiling height, divided by the yield indicated in the pot, then multiplying by the number of layers to be laid. Example: my room has a perimeter of (5m +7 m) x 2 = 24m x 2.50m ceiling height = 60 m2. If the yield per liter indicated in the pot is 12m2 per liter, divide 60 by 12 = 2 x 5 liters layers = 10 liters. Round to 11.5 liters for comfort.
This seems insurmountable? Arm yourself with your most disarming smile and show the dimensions of your room to a seller. It will help you out probably …
Trap # 4: Use a suitable material
Roll too thin brushes that lose their hair … A low-end hardware or inadequate quality of the painting you complicate the task. You’ll spend more time painting, the result will risk being irregular, it will be impossible to use a second time, there will probably sagging and unsightly splashes.
A good brush should be tapered and have long hair securely attached to the handle, it is better to choose raw wood (instead of plastic or painted wood) for better grip. Better to use synthetic bristles when painting with a paint based on aqueous emulsion, said water-based paint. However, wool and natural silk are recommended when using paint solvent glycero said. Again, do not hesitate to ask sellers specialty stores, they will guide you to the right products.
The short nap roller will be reserved for lacquers and paints brilliant, models with short hair or medium length will be perfect for satin and matte, anti-drops will be essential for ceilings.
Finally, quite a tray attached to grid will drain the excess paint before moving the roller.
For baseboards and all flat surfaces, it is best to use flat brushes. In contrast, use round brushes to paint the moldings or wall corners. As for radiators, whose corners are not easy to access, they will mandate the use of special brushes, elbow and long sleeve.
On your list of accessories to be a good painter, do not forget to note: good protective tape to provide sufficient, good stool not break the figure and white spirit and other cleaning products according painting.
>> Also read: all our subjects to choose the right paint
Trap # 5: run without trying his painting
Director: The Walls Have Ears
The choice of the color of a painting always proves tricky. What shade adopt at any place place, how it fits together to the room and it creates the right mood? These questions require actual thought. Recently, simulators and virtual swatches can test the colors at home. The rendering is often artificial and far from providing all the delicacy of shades and halftones. Hence the interest to check at home the selected tone using samples before embarking on the great work. The quality paints like Farrow & Ball or Resource, and recently the DIY stores such as Leroy Merlin or brands such as Dulux Valentine, offer for sale jars 100ml called “testers” that can get a fairly accurate idea Desired. tint Rather than applying the tester directly on the wall or part to paint, better conduct tests on a white cardboard 50×50 cm, then place it in different places in the room and at different times of the day including evening electric light.
These preliminary trials is essential when you want to apply halftones or light tones, which undergo more than strong colors influences the environment and can actually change appearance depending on the circumstances. Same when we want to combine two or three colors of paint, either in monochrome or in contrast. This precaution may actually save you time and money.
Trap # 6: neglecting the stage of “underlay”
If you do not take care to put an undercoat before applying the paint, it may adhere poorly to the substrate, or be absorbed by the porous wall that will “drink” painting and require you to multiply the number of layers required.
There are sub-layer, also known as adapted to all media that can be painted “primary attachment”
– On the walls: you can use a cheap paint, but the ideal is to opt for a primary solvent in stain-power. Be careful to follow the instructions of the manufacturers on the drying time.
– On the metal: use an underlay protecting against corrosion and facilitating the attachment of the painting. If the metal is rusty, you will find sub-layers to paint on such a surface.
– The radiators: there are special sub-layers heat resistant. Make sure to apply them on radiators off.
– On PVC, tile, melamine: you will find sub-layers reserved for smooth surfaces, allowing the painting to hang on these special materials. Without this preliminary precaution, the paint is likely to ignore.
Focus on: epoxy resin
Today Resinence revolutionized painting with its range of paint resin. This painting can paint any media (tiled, floor …). We first apply a coat of paint (many colors) and a resin that hardens and becomes resistant. Very simple to use, it is also odorless.
Trap # 7: confused oil painting and watercolor
“The oil painting is more complqué but it is more beautiful than the water-based paint” … The old adage lived! Small return on the differences between oil painting and watercolor.
Oil painting or glycero. Painting “oil” is called in the language pro “glycero”. A solvent-based to facilitate the application, it is particularly popular with artists for its “tight”, its strength and durability. It is also the most washable paint. It is however subject to new regulations because it is polluting. Its smell is strong and tough and solvent fumes can be harmful. In addition, it is likely to yellow with age, and its drying time is long enough between coats.
Watercolor or acrylic. acrylic painting, called “watercolor”, is odorless and contains little or almost organic solvents harmful to the environment. Above all, there are now excellent acrylic Quantity in terms of rendering and texture. Easy to apply, it spreads easily, dries quickly and holds in any medium. It is washable and tools can be cleaned with water. Its only flaw: it is weaker than his “rival” glycerophthalic.
And that’s not all! Youngest radius paint, alkyd aqueous emulsion has the advantages of glycero (resistance and appearance tense, high covering power) without the disadvantages (no smell, shorter drying, no yellowing).
Hint: for not to choose an unsuitable quality, ask yourself the following questions: Will you paint the walls yourself? Sensitive people are they likely to inhale paint? The work be performed while you already live here? If the answer is yes to all three questions, opt unhesitatingly for a painting in aqueous emulsion.
Trap # 8: the wrong finish between matte, satin and gloss
Matt, satin, gloss … Not easy to navigate among these three finishes! And yet, it is better to choose the good, if not, beware of misses.
Director: The Walls Have Ears
– The matte paintings: they hide minor imperfections in the surface and appear trendy by their powdery texture and deep and sober rendering. Yes … They are generally only washable and non-washable therefore unsuitable for busy rooms, children’s rooms or wet rooms like the kitchen and bathroom.
– The gloss paints or lacquers: they the power to enlarge the spaces reflecting the light and are particularly easy to clean. But beware: they do not forgive imperfection support and require three or four layers at least for a perfect record. Reserved for perfectionists!
– The satin. The most universal of paint thus remain the satin finish, suitable for all areas and all media.
Question style, remains to choose between smooth paint and paint effects. The latter was thought old-fashioned, now enjoying a second wind. Manufacturers are working on styles in the zeitgeist (patinated, campaign, tadelakt …) that adorn the wall without too much otherwise complicate the task. Carried away by the soaring wallpaper, paint effect also creates a practical side. Painting function allows a pan magnetic wall or blackboard for hanging magnets or write little words …
Trap # 9: put too much paint, or not enough
Not easy to dose the right amount of paint when repainting walls, furniture, doors … But if you put too much paint on the roller and it does not spin enough, we risk to sagging or unsightly projections. And if, on the contrary, it is not enough load its sleeve, the paint will be insufficient, the traces of the passage of the roll will be visible and the paint will dry too quickly.
The golden rules for the right amount of paint and work in state of the art:
– Mix the paint before use, thicker deposits still forming the bottom of the pot and risking making lumps. To do this, use a piece of wood, a clean stick or a “mixer” tool that fits Mandarin electric drills.
– Do not dip the roller in the paint than half and remove the surplus to using the grid.
– While applying the adhesive tape before applying the paint to prevent overflow. For those who abhor this preparatory work, here’s a little trick unverified home … Cut an onion in half and rub it against the surface not to be painted. It appears that the onion repellent properties to paint!
– Ensure that the paint does not accumulate at both ends of the roll.
– If sag if the paint is still wet, simply ironing a favorite roller to spread the paint. If it is dry, it will sand and apply a new coat of paint.
Gotcha # 10: paint in poor weather conditions
Too hot, too cold, too wet … And yes, strange as it may seem, the weather can affect the performance of paints. Be careful if you decide to repaint your home, so in winter when heating your new apartment is not still in service! Cold weather and high humidity, the paint will be difficult to enforce. It will be sticky and drying time will be longer. With drafts on a windy weather, the opportunity will be given to the dust settling on the wet paint.
And if you take your brushes in the heat? Not terrible either, because above 30 degrees, drying time is too fast, it can have a negative impact on the sustainability of film.
Last point should not be overlooked: the ventilation, especially if you use the oil-based paint. Indeed, the vapors from paints or solvents are not recommended for pregnant women or for children. Open wide the windows and do not hesitate, even if you are a consenting adult to wear a protective mask.